Thursday, December 22, 2011

Geeks and Dating

Today I'll be talking about two things.  TLC's Geek Love and the Kotaku article, Nerds and Male privilege (which originated from here).

Geek Love-

Yes, I watched it.  Not just because I was on there, I wanted to see how it turned out.  It wasn't as much of a train wreck as I thought it was.  What you saw was no edits whatsoever.  Also what you didn't know is that in the Sunday session I was in, about half those girls I speed dated with were in the Saturday night session as well. 

Did I get a contact? Yes.

I was expecting more contacts, but I realized something yet again. I am not eye candy to most geek girls.  Yes I made them laugh and I got along so well with them.  But if I have the personality, but not the looks (I know I'm not an eye catch, but I am handsome), I will not be walking away with those digits/facebook/email, etc...  This is something I figured out a long time ago. I don't like it, but I've accepted it for what it is.  I understand when we all look for that someone, we have various expectations.  But be serious with yourself, you're not going to find that 100%.  You find something very close and when you give it a shot, that person may just turn into that 100%.  Looks don't mean a thing if the person can't carry a conversation. ^_~

And I speed dated with Anna, the Star Wars fangirl. She gave me the stink eye when I said that I was not into Star Wars...

Nerds and Male Privilege-

I back this article 100%.  I thought I had more to say about it, but I really don't. I reread it, fully understanding it a lot more.  I really don't see myself as having the male privilege, because I tend to think of myself as the average geek, but it is what it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment